Ashtanga Intensive in London with Adam Keen, April 2023
ASHTANGA INTENSIVE IN LONDON WITH ADAM KEEN
FRIDAY APRIL 7TH TO MONDAY APRIL 10TH, 2023
Do you want to teach or deepen your practice?
This 40-hour Ashtanga yoga intensive course will be taught in person at The Light Centre Monument. The course will comprise an in-depth study of the practice of Ashtanga yoga, how to practice effectively and sustainably for your own body, and how to pass this on to others.
The course is aimed at anyone wanting to deepen their practice, whether you are considering teaching in the future, are already teaching, or have no intention of teaching but wish to learn more. All modules will be full of information to facilitate this, explained clearly and with examples and practice exercises.
There will also be a strong emphasis on contextualising practice within the more profound framework of yoga philosophy. This not only helps with one’s approach to asana, but it also really brings yoga practice into daily life as a way of life.
A bit about Adam's approach to Ashtanga yoga
Yoga is just yoga. The body only moves in specific ways, which should be consistent across all yoga practices. However, I have always remained committed to Ashtanga Yoga due to its emphasis on the inner technique of the tristana; posture, bandha, and drishti.
These three subtle protocols connect the Hatha yoga we practice now back to its roots in tantra in the Medieval period to step up the energy running through the body to deepen one’s own embodied experience of being.
Therefore, I base my teaching on these principles, working from the inside-outwards, ensuring that bandha has been understood as a function inseparable from breathing; posture naturally opens out from here as it should as an expression of the uniqueness of each body.
Practice should be gentle, effective, and sustainable. This doesn’t mean it is not also transformative. On the other hand, I firmly believe that the basis for making change for the better has its foundations in self-care. Hence, this attitude is emphasised throughout my teaching qualified in these three fundamental principles:
- The sequence should be adapted to suit everyone.
- The method should produce a noticeable change in comfort, energy, and lucidity.
- The practice should be based on cultivating internal inner energy and not muscular or mental force.
WHAT ARE THE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE TRAINING?
- Everyone should feel comfortable in their understanding of all the Primary Series postures.
- All students will be confident in utilising physical and verbal assistance safely and effectively in their teaching.
- Everyone will be aware of the differences in individual bodies and how to assess natural ranges of movement.
- Each participant will know how to adapt the practice so appropriately whilst keeping the integrity of the method; it can be made safe, accessible, and inspiring for anybody in front of them.
- All students will benefit from a fuller perspective on the context and development of modern postural yoga about its historical past and how we might not only explain this to our students but also use it in our teaching approach and our lives, most generally.
In this 40-hour Ashtanga intensive in London, you will learn the primary series of Ashtanga yoga in depth. We will cover teaching methods, verbal cues and appropriate physical assistance.
In addition, you will learn an overview of the philosophy and history behind Ashtanga Yoga and access to a range of our online resources to continue practising and refining your techniques at home.
The course will include the following:
- Step-by-step guidance on the mechanics of each asana in the Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series
- Full explanation and instructions on the vinyasa count as they teach in Mysore.
- Precise verbal cues and language around teaching
- A comprehensive overview of approaches to safe and appropriate physical assistance.
- Structural analysis of individual bodies.
- Adapting asana and sequences to progress each person according to their specific needs safely.
- Complete knowledge of the Ashtanga method, the Tristana, Breath, Bandha & Drishti.
- Traditional and contemporary discussion and overview of the fundamentals of yoga philosophy.
- Discussion and seminar on the role of a teacher – difficulties, ethics, expectations, and how to structure your class effectively.
- A support group that continues after the graduation
- Access to a range of online support material through Keen on Yoga.
Early Bird (payments made by February 28th): €450